Followers

July 16, 2010

BP4_Smilebox

If you’ve ever wondered what to do with all the pictures on your camera that eventually gets dumped to your computer, then look no further. In our digital age the processed or printed picture has become a rare commodity. Our technological advances allow us to upload and store all of our memories. Well, instead of just storing them, there is an excellent Web 2.0 tool that will allow you a creative output for your pictures.

Smilebox is a Web 2.0 tool that allows users to digitally create scrapbooks, greetings, slideshows, collages and more. This site provides creative design templates where you can upload photos or videos to create a polished final product. Smilebox does offer a free service to users where they can access basic designs and then email and post their creations to various social networks. The paid services allow users to do a few more things such as access advertising-free designs, save as jpg files and burn to DVD. Smilebox gives users an option between there basic services and premium services where you can either pay a $5.99 fee monthly or pay a $39.99 fee yearly. The premium services are more flexible allowing you access to unlimited ad-free designs that you can save, print, email, record as movies and lots more. 

Overall, all of these features allow users to enhance the overall look and feel of any picture, collage, greeting or album. I especially like Smilebox because users are allowed to put video clips into really cool templates. As I incorporate video blogging into my curriculum, I think this really benefits the student’s videos by giving them life and allowing them to be presentable for any class or situation. Smilebox allow simple pictures and videos to become beautiful keepsakes.

6 comments:

  1. With all the digital photos that either sit in cameras or hold up space on computers, this could be a good tool for photo management. I like that it can be user friendly to students and that they can be creative with how they share their pictures. I love that you stated that "Smilebox allow simple pictures and videos to become keepsakes". This is important for students to produce items that are a part of their culture and make things that can be passed on to future generations. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I used this tool long time ago but I forgot all the things it could do. At my school we try to make and record memories for the girls while they are boarding. Even though I would probably have to pay, how great would it be make a personalized e-card to a girl on her birthday. Another idea was to send their parents a scrapbook page with current activities. Thanks for reintroducing me to Smilebox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kiylise,

    Smilebox seems fun to use when creating those special memorable projects using your own snapshots. This is a great tool for anyone to utilize and show where they have traveled, what they have learned, and show off all the wonderful people in their close circle. Most important, anyone can become fond of this activity and make it a hobby. Students need to develop hobbies to help keep them grounded. Creating scrapbooks, greetings, slide shows, and collages will certainly do it for some.

    In response to your comment on my blog about receiving input, I would be happy to do so. We could share resources, collaborate, and/or become critical friends for our AR projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are many photo sharing programs available online. The Smilebox is unique that it offers users a variety of resources to create various projects.

    This is a great program to use in classrooms or community activities. It is an awesome teaching tool to use in arts, reading, language arts, and across curriculum. All levels of students can participate and design personal creative projects. This type of inclusion is necessary for all students to become success in school and life.

    The $39.99 yearly fee is a minimum price to pay for this great interactive program.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used a variety of free tools in the past that provide some similar options but even though this program costs $40 per year, I think from what I have seen so far, it would be well worth the price. I am always looking for great options for student portfolios and this seems to fit the bill. Since I teach both high school and college design classes, I believe my college students would find this tool very beneficial especially if they are looking for a way to showcase their designs and artwork. Thanks for sharing this tool; I know I will be looking at all the options in hopes of using this Web 2.0 tool for my own personal work.

    ReplyDelete